Sunday, March 2, 2014

Leprechaun Gold

As March roared in with snow, sleet, and below freezing temps, the young herd was blessed with a lazy day Sunday and no school for Monday. This opened  plenty of time for creative pursuits. I spent a few hours Sunday beating the bark off of a tree stump with an ax. Yes, you read that right. I've been saving three tree stumps from our summer tree removal adventure with plans to dry them, de-bark them, and make them into fabulous end tables. I was busy in the basement rec room chipping away bark while the girls were sitting at a table nearby creating  leprechaun traps inspired by Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous.

Let me just stop here and tip my proverbial hat to the sadist who inspired this whole leprechaun trap thing. I am thrilled by the concepts my little herd dreams up every year for their traps. No, not thrilled. Mortified maybe? I am actually quite surprised every year when the leprechaun actually drops by our house to visit the traps- he must be a glutton for punishment. Maybe he is in cahoots with the sadist. Previous years' traps have included nails, pins, and thumbtacks. This year, Little Bean was eyeing the ax I was working with. Eep! A word of warning to the leprechaun: They plan to kill you. Or at least maim you.

Somewhere throughout the evening, in a short break from my hammering and chopping, I overheard this conversation:

Rough Stuff: Oooh! That could be the little flusher for my toilet!

Little Bean: Your leprechaun house has a toilet?

Rough Stuff:  Yep!

Little Bean: (deadpan) You're cleaning that up.

No comments:

Post a Comment